Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vishnu Vilas: 2nd Round

I was so impressed with my previous visit at Vishnu Vilas of Schaumburg that I returned last Thursday. Except for the mango lassi ($2.99) that I couldn't resist not ordering again, I tried new dishes for me and yet they were familiar in some ways.

For instance, I ordered some Onion Pakoda ($3.99) as an appetizer. They are simply fried onions with a bright golden orange color and sprinkled with ground white pepper in a fun presentation. Next time I would order a side of tomato chutney too as a dip.

Then I enjoyed a tomato soup ($2.99). Just as creamy and luscious as the Italian styled dish, this one is made with tamarind juice for added tartness and topped with cilantro instead of parsley. The fragrance of the cilantro does give it a welcomed added dimension.

Finally, I savored their Chicken Tikka ($8.99) which came sizzling on a cast iron skillet with grilled onions, tomatoes and lettuce. The whole presentation looked like a chicken fajita from a Mexican restaurant. So this is why I also ordered a Chapati (2.99) - 8" tortillas cut in half - and coconut chutney - a tropical alternative to sour cream. The chicken was seasoned with curry and green chili. It was like someone took this popular Mexican dish and gave it an oriental spin. Nice! Next time I'll also add some tomato chutney as a substitute for salsa.

I am glad I went to Vishnu's again. The food was familiar in a way and yet new by the added flavors and presentation.



Your host.

5 comments:

  1. I tried at Vishnu Vilas, the food is very good , I am so happy now , there is one good Indian restaurant in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food is great here. was a bit spicy for me though. But i guess that's part of the fun..You should get in touch with the bizymoms Schaumburg community to feature these on their page. It’s free and the moms will love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vishnu Vilas ia mainly a south Indian restaurant. So if you want to have a south Indian treat then you should visit there. We had the north Indian dinner which was not satisfactory. DO NOT try the chilly chicken....it is very very spicy.THE KULFY WAS TERRIBLE....but the butter chicken, garlic naan and mango lassi was very good. The menu has clearly mentioneds that if there are more than 5 people then they will charge an automatic gratuity of 15%. So keep that in mind. The people serving the food were nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worst place to fill your stomach . An insider tip . Stale , preserved food . Do not make business at the expense of others health . The owner who runs this is a big joke . Try saffron , india house fresh food.

    I have been living in schaumburg for two years and everyone in the community complains and makes fun of their food.

    Mango lassi , kulfi are the same in every desi restaurant . Thats not rocket science . Do not trust fabricated comments . Use your brain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you would just love the restaurants in Schaumburg, IL. They are the amazing.

    ReplyDelete